Saxton United Methodist Church
3241 Main Street, Bowers Beach, DE
Saxton’s United Methodist Church in Bowers Beach is part of the Frederica Charge along with Trinity UMC in Frederica and Sardis UMC in South Bowers.
The church is a historic United Methodist church located at the junction of Main and Church Streets in Bowers, Kent County, Delaware. The chapel was built and dedicated on Dec. 8, 1879. , it is a long, narrow, one-story, gable-roofed, Gothic-influenced frame building with board-and-batten siding. It measures approximately 40 feet, 5 inches, in length by 24 feet, 5 inches, in width. The steeply pitched roof is topped by a pyramidal-roofed, bell cupola.
Donated by John Saxton, on Jan. 23, 1881. In 1893, the chapel was moved to its present site in the Town of Bower’s Beach. The opening service was held on Sun., Dec. 3, 1893. It was conducted by the Revs. W. S. Murray, Robert Watt and S. R. Maxwell. This site was purchased from Elizabeth Minner on June 20, 1894. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The pastor is Robin Hurley. Sunday Service is at 9:45 a.m.
For more information, you can go to the Saxton United Methodist Church Facebook
page and/or the Frederica Charge website